Introducing Lucy Lavers
Photo left: The Little Ships of Dunkirk by Christian Brann. Photo right: Rhyl RNLI lifeboat station
Lucy Lavers is a single-screw Liverpool type lifeboat.
Built by Groves and Gutteridge on the Isle of Wight in 1939, Lucy Lavers was completed in 1940 for Aldeburgh Lifeboat Station. Her shallow draft - 2ft 3.5ins - made her suitable for her first service at the Dunkirk Rescue Operation in 1940. She is 35ft 6ins long, with a beam of 10ft 3ins; her construction is double diagonal mahogany; her displacement is 6 tons and her original engine was a 35hp Weyburn petrol engine.
Lucy Lavers later served as a relief Lifeboat at Wells-next-the-Sea and elsewhere on the East Coast. She was donated to us for restoration by the Dunkirk Little Ships Restoration Trust.
Photo left: Scott Photographic Services. Photo right: Rescue Wooden Boats.
Our first project is to restore Dunkirk Veteran Lucy Lavers to her former glory, and our second is to take her back to Dunkirk by sea in 2015, for the 75th Anniversary of Operation Dynamo, encouraging visitors and - we hope - inspiring young people's interest in her place in history on the way.
We are delighted to have been awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant to help restore, film and tell the story of Lifeboat Lucy Lavers.